Friday, November 18, 2011

Birthday Surprise at Mickey's House

Seven years ago, a school assignment asked us to design a fictional residence.  Ideas from TV, movies, and books were used by everyone, well, everyone except for me.  I chose to create a functional version of Mickey Mouse's House.  Despite living in southern California, and visiting Disneyland hundreds of times... I spent the holidays that year in at Walt Disney World, and took dozens of photos of (the now extinct) Mickey House in Mickey's Toon Town Fair.  Fundamentally, the houses on both coasts were the same, but in actuality they were quite different---and neither were truly functional---where did Mickey take a bath?

Eighty-Three years ago today, November 18th, Mickey Mouse made his premiere in Steamboat Willie.  In honor of his birthday, I am sharing my sketch of Mickey's house (a mash-up of both versions)

Mickey's Toon Town House

H A P P Y   B I R T H D A Y,  M I C K E Y ! ! !

No comments:

Post a Comment