Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Disneyland California Report

If there is but one thing I know for sure, it is that no matter where you are or how old you are, there are things that are guaranteed to provide comfort, confidence, and satisfaction.  Often times, those same things provide happiness, or at least are able to put a smile on one's face.  Chicken soup is one of those things.

Being a 10 year old passenger on our way to the mall, traveling down the 55 Freeway, I always attempted to spot the peak of the Matterhorn that seemed so far away, both physically and through few opportunities to visit.  The Park was usually closed 2 days a week during most of the year, and even then, it still closed around dusk.  Annual Passports were still 20 years away so the thought of frequent visits had not even been conceived in my head.

Being an Anaheim native myself and growing up in greater OC, born in the almighty year of the Tencennial celebration, and spotting the Matterhorn from afar WAS my frequent visit to Disneyland from a very early age.  The sights and sounds of Disneyland capture an innocent and magical time for me.

I currently live 1000 miles away from Disneyland and keep abreast of what is happening there via weekly updates on several websites and blogs... but what really comforts me are the images that remind me of "My Disneyland", the park that I grew up with... and still am growing up with, despite the distance.

I have been creating graphic arts, logos, and maps that help to remind me, personally, of the history, joy, and special moments in life that I share with the neighbor down the street I grew up with.  I am very fascinated with the tour and book about Disneyland: The Architecture of Reassurance so I am starting this blog to share some of the art I have created that has always put a smile on my own face, that has placed me visually in a locales that always create good memories, and give me an opportunity to share Disneyland history as I lived (and recall) it.

SO THEN, to begin, I posted the first image (above), as one of my favorites of the Anaheim property.  I captured icons of both Parks, past and present.
(FYI. I have always loved, and have missed, the original Disneyland sign... I came up with these images long before the Hotel pool remodel went retro with the same idea!)

(Disclaimer: I do not work for, nor do I represent the Disney Company.  I create images for my own personal satisfaction and do not sell or promote the images I create that are based on Disney copyright materials) 

No comments:

Post a Comment