I have a background in digital mapping and in graphic design, and so I have combined the two skills to create the maps on this blog. While I acknowledge the drawing I present is not a precise representation, I have used my mapping skills to be significantly close.
**Click on the image to see full size**
|Disneyland Map, 1955 with 2005 reference overlay
Be sure to follow the Railroad tracks around the outside of the park--today's entrance to Critter Country is yesterday's train path. Notice how the Submarine Lagoon is different than the original Phantom Boat lagoon.
Really cool things I have found:
- Find the Dominguez Palm. It has been on this property since the 1896. It was originally behind today's Haunted Mansion show building (see Holidayland on map) and moved to a spot in Adventureland during the original park construction, where it remains today.
- The Indian Trading Post (built 1956) is still there today in Critter Country, despite all the significant changes to the area of the Park.
- The Rocks between Big Thunder Trail & Big Thunder Ranch are the same ones built in 1956 for Rainbow Ridge attractions, particularly the Mine Train.
- The only two DL&SF Railroad Stations, at Main Street and Frontierland, each had their own engine & passenger cars and each completed a round-trip trip without stopping at the other station---that is why both stations have a passing lane, so they could skip the station that was not on their day's route.
- Every time the Railroad expanded near Adventureland, the Jungle Cruise added a new scene. Elephant Bathing Pool, African Savannah, and Hippos were all additions to the original cruise.
- The big gate across from Small World, between Storybookland and Fantasyland Theatre opens to a space that was once the route the railroad used to travel. Follow the gates due east across Small World Mall toward the Monorail, and you'll find the Monorail used to run parallel to the former railroad tracks for several yards.
- All the bodies of water are interconnected, in two groupings. Tomorrowland to Fantasyland were one combination. Main Street (Castle & Plaza Hub), to Adventureland, Jungle Cruise, leading to Rivers of America. I believe there still is some inter-connectivity, but it is no longer as visible as it was in the early years.