Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth of July

During 1976, America was celebrating its Bicentennial year.  Everything was marketed with 1776, 1976, 200 years, America, and Independence.  Disneyland spent over a year with the same idea, and since I lived less than 5 miles away, I got caught up in the marketing campaign.  I can still picture some of the items I owned that incorporated the iconic Disney image referenced below, as they were some of my favorites.  Mickey, Goofy, and Donald lead the America on Parade, Mr Lincoln was updated on Main Street, and America Sings was introduced at the Carousel Theatre.

Personally, I think this is one of the first examples of a really great promotional concept at Disneyland, and it remains one of my favorites.  Here is my interpretation of that 35+ year old image.
Only 15 more years until the 250th Anniversary... I wonder if Disney has started working on a new iconic logo yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment